What Are the Signs of Heroin Addiction?Heroin is one of the most addictive substances available today. It breaks down into morphine, a powerful opioid, once it gets inside your body. The opioid binds to brain receptors that control the regulation of pleasure and pain. That triggers the production of excess amounts of dopamine, which causes the feeling of euphoria in heroin users. Changes in your behavior and signs of drug paraphernalia around you are the biggest signs you might have a heroin addiction. Other symptoms of heroin addiction include a lack of interest in activities you used to enjoy and a deterioration in your hygiene. You may get to a point where you only think about getting your next hit of heroin.
What Are the Short-Term Effects of Heroin?Once you get over the initial rush, you may start having short-term heroin effects like:
- Dry and itchy skin
- Shallow breathing
- Slow heartbeat
5 Long-Term Heroin Effects
1. You can end up with neurological damage.Heroin changes your brain structures, making it hard for you to function without the drug. You may start having issues with your memory and decision-making skills. The more your brain cells deteriorate due to long-term heroin effects, the more severe your neurological problems may become.
2. You may have more intense withdrawal symptoms.Once your body starts depending on heroin, it will do everything possible to get more. That’s why long-term heroin users benefit from placing themselves in the care of a heroin detox center, where they can receive 24-7 monitoring while they go through withdrawal.
3. You have trouble controlling your emotions.Heroin effects from long-term use can include a lack of control over your reactions to stress. You may lash out or overreact to perceived slights because of your long-term heroin use.
4. You can lose your teeth.Dry mouth is a heroin effect that keeps you from producing enough saliva to clean your teeth. That, combined with the poor nutrition of most heroin users, can weaken your gums and cause your teeth to eventually fall out.
5. You may have hormonal issues.The way heroin changes your brain can lead to irreversible hormonal problems in both men and women.
Overcome the Effects of Heroin at Atlanta Detox CenterIf you’re struggling in your efforts to overcome a heroin addiction, Atlanta Detox Center may be the place for you. Our staff can safely guide you through the detox process, then get you started on a treatment program in recovery. Other services offered at our facility include:
- Alcohol addiction treatment
- Drug addiction treatment
- Meth addiction treatment